Richest Tribes in Kenya 2024, Latest Top 5 List

Richest Tribes in Kenya 2024, Latest Top 5 List

Kenya has at least 44 tribes that have been growing from day to day however among them only a few make to the list of the richest tribes in Kenya. 

The list of tribes in Kenya is continuously monitored by the Kenyan National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS).

Even though Kenya is one of the most ethnically diverse countries in East Africa, only a few tribes account for the majority of the country’s wealth.

READ ALSO Top 5 Richest Luos in Kenya This Year 

Which among these communities are the richest tribes in Kenya?

Less than 0.1% of Kenyans (the wealthy) own more than the other 99.9%, according to Oxfam International, a global organization that fights inequality and poverty.

That demonstrates the significant disparity between Kenya’s poorest and richest citizens

According to Oxfam, the 10% of the richest people earn 23 times as much as the poorest people. Even more eye-catching is the prediction that the number of millionaires or extremely wealthy people will increase by 10% during the next ten years. By 2032, there will be approximately 7500 new millionaires.

The top 5 richest tribes in Kenya

Kikuyu

Most people agree that the kikuyu is one of the richest tribes in Kenya.

One explanation for this is that they have long held key government posts and still control politics and the government.

READ ALSO Top 10 Richest Kikuyus in Kenya and Their Vast Businesses 

Therefore, if the government is wealthy, Kikuyus will also be wealthy.

Phillip Ndegwa, a Kikuyu and he was the first man to bank a billion in Kenya
Phillip Ndegwa, a Kikuyu and he was the first man to bank a billion in Kenya

Instead of examining the whole amount of wealth that each member of the group owns, it is a wonderful idea to focus on the average wealth of the group.

According to that metric, the Kikuyus should be at the top of the list because they have a large population and a very high proportion of their households receive financial assistance from the government.

Luhya

As far as wealthy tribes in Kenya, the Luhya is second. The majority of Kenya’s cereals and sugarcane are produced by this tribe, and despite engaging in trade, it is through the production of these crops that they have amassed the most wealth.

READ ALSO Top 7 Richest Luhyas in Western Kenya 

Amos wako, a Luhya, and he among the richest politicians in Kenya
Amos wako, a Luhya, and he among the richest politicians in Kenya

Kisii

Also on the list of richest tribes in Kenya is the Kisii. They are traders, but they derive the majority of their money from millet farming, of which they control over 60% of the land in the nation.

READ ALSO Top 6 Richest Kisii People in Kenya 

 

Richest Kisii People in Kenya, Fred Matiangi

kalenjins

They live in the Rift Valley and are known as Highland Nilotes. The Kalenjin people are famous for their farming and athletic prowess, and they control expansive domains. They have also given Kenya two presidents including Daniel Arap Moi and William Samoei Ruto. Thus, Kalenjins are arguably one of the richest tribes in Kenya.

READ ALSO Top 5 Richest Kalenjins In Kenya and Their Unheard Stories

Nicholas Biwott, his family is among the richest families in Kenya
Nicholas Biwott, his family is among the richest families in Kenya

Luo

The Luo people of the River Lake Nilotes are among the most educated people in Kenya and are recognized for enjoying a high maintenance lifestyle.

Despite their small numbers, Luos are known to have amassed fortune in many fields thanks to their dedication in education and sporting prowess.

Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga , one of the richest politicians in Kenya
Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga , one of the richest politicians in Kenya

This earns Luos a place in the list of the richest tribes in Kenya.

READ ALSO Top 5 Richest Luos in Kenya This Year

Let's Comment Here